Wednesday 26 January 2011

ARTICLE: Oscar Nomination & Predictions

After The Wild Bore's amazing results in last year's predictions it's time to check out who we think will win in 2011.


What a boring nominations list - absolutely no surprises here whatsoever - what do you guys think? I've suggested what I think will win, and what I think should win.






Best Picture
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Prediction: The Social Network
Wild Bore Choice: Black Swan


I can't imagine anything else but Social Network winning this. As much as I think King's Speech will win some huge awards, I doubt they will give it Best Film. For me, I'd like to have seen either Inception or Black Swan but Inception was fun but Black Swan, as a film, was better.

Actor In A Leading Role
Javier Bardem - Biutiful
Jeff Bridges - True Grit
Jesse Eisenburg - The Social Network
Colin Firth - The King's Speech
James Franco - 127 Hours

Prediction: Colin Firth - The King's Speech
Wild Bore Choice: Colin Firth - The King's Speech


I haven't seen Biutiful but I sincerely doubt Bardem will win it and Jeff Bridges is still on the comedown from his Crazy Heart win, Eisenburg did well but one of the best actors of last year? I don't think so. Franco shouldn't win because not only is he hosting the Oscars with Anne Hathaway this year but I don't think he was very impressive in 127 Hours (which I haven't stayed awake through yet). Therefore, it can only be Firth as he missed out with A Single Man and has impressed the States no end.

Actor In A Supporting Role
Christian Bale - The Fighter
John Hawkes - Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner - The Town
Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech

Prediction: Christian Bale - The Fighter
Wild Bore Choice: Jeremy Renner - The Town


I think Bale will get an Oscar for the fact that he deserves one, but also a lot of people were impressed with his method acting that has finally found a film that ticks all the Oscar's boxes. I haven't seen Winter's Bone so can't comment, I've heard The Kids Are All Right is up it's own arse and as much as I loved Geoffrey Rush, I think Bale will pip it. However, I'd love to see Renner win in a film I didn't expect I'd enjoy so much and one I think should have been given more credit, Affleck's The Town. I feel where Bale can go OTT, Renner holds it back, and it's this approach that I find much more appealing.

Actress In A Leading Role
Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

Prediction: Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Wild Bore Choice: Natalie Portman - Black Swan


A whole bunch of films I am yet to see, so instead it's more of an educated guess. I just can't see Portman losing this.

Actress In A Supporting Role
Amy Adams - The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit
Jacki Weaver - Animal Kingdom

Prediction: Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Wild Bore Choice: Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit


Jacki who? Anyway, Adams was upstaged by Leo so I think that's unfair for a start, however I can't see Bonham Carter winning here at the Oscars, other British awards maybe but not here. Steinfeld I thought really brought True Grit home and was a stand-out performance, I don't see how they classify Jeff Bridges as a leading male and Steinfeld as a Supporting role, I thought it would be the other way round.

Animated Feature Film
How To Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

Prediction: Toy Story 3
Wild Bore Choice: Toy Story 3


I want to say The Illusionist but I haven't seen it. Toy Story can't lose this one though, the Academy love it.

Art Direction
Alice In Wonderland
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1
Inception
The King's Speech
True Grit

Prediction: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1
Wild Bore Choice: Inception


I think as far as all the art direction goes, the more fantastical it is, then the more chance it has of winning. However, Alice In Wonderland was mainly CG and Harry Potter always does well for more technical stuff but I think Inception's art direction was overshadowed by it's content. Every detail in it's different settings was unique and stylish. Hats off.

Cinematography
Black Swan
Inception
The King's Speech
The Social Network
True Grit

Prediction: True Grit
Wild Bore Choice: True Grit


As beautiful as the other films look, the cinematography in True Grit really captured the raw essence and the landscapes, the lighting, all the shots felt remarkable. Inception again was incredible and Black Swan was more rebellious, but True Grit will get some Oscars for stuff like this.

Costume Design
Alice In Wonderland
I Am Love
The King's Speech
The Tempest
True Grit

Prediction: Alice In Wonderland
Wild Bore Choice: Alice In Wonderland


How it can be nominated for anything is crazy but I haven't seen The Tempest or I Am Love. King's Speech wasn't exactly imaginative and True Grit didn't have anything particularly interesting costume wise I thought.

Direction
Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
David O Russell - The Fighter
Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
David Fincher - The Social Network
Coen Brothers - True Grit

Prediction: David Fincher - The Social Network
Wild Bore Choice: Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan


America is going crazy for The Social Network and Fincher is a well respected director and some feel Aronofsky has already enjoyed some success with The Wrestler last time. Hooper is too new and O Russell I don't think will be chosen as he's not exactly earned it and The Fighter is very straightforward, and something Aronofsky gave up to produce anyway. Black Swan had some incredible directing, but it will be Fincher who takes the glory.

Documentary Feature
Exit Through The Gift Shop
Gasland
Inside Job
Restrepo
Waste Land

Prediction: Restrepo
Wild Bore Choice: Restrepo


Not only because it's the only one that I've seen anything of but American's love documentaries on the war don't they?

Documentary Short Subject
Killing In The Name
Poster Girl
Strangers No More
Sun Come Up
The Warriors of Qiugang

Prediction: Killing In The Name
Wild Bore Choice: Killing In The Name


I haven't seen any of these. I like Rage Against The Machine.

Film Editing
Black Swan
The Fighter
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network

Prediction: 127 Hours
Wild Bore Choice: Black Swan


They have to give Danny Boyle something, and I'm sure they will think 127 Hours was this terrific, horrific, prolific piece of film-making keeping you on your toes at all times, but in fact it should be Black Swan again, the editing as graceful and beautiful as a dance itself.

Foreign Language Film
Biutiful
Dogtooth
In A Better World
Incendies
Outside The Law

Prediction: Biutiful
Wild Bore Choice: Dogtooth


Dogtooth! Love it. Though I doubt such a strange rather disturbing film will get a nod, instead it will give Bardem some peace for losing out on Best Actor.

Make-Up
Barney's Version
The Way Back
The Wolfman

Prediction: The Wolfman
Wild Bore Choice: Barney's Version


I re-edited this because after seeing Barney's Version, not only is it a great film but the make-up is brilliant. They age perfectly, and I'd say it's better than the CG fakeness of Benjamin Button for instance.

Music (Original Score)
How To Train Your Dragon
Inception
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network

Prediction: The Social Network
Wild Bore Choice: Inception


Ok, so Trent Reznor's score has been commended left right and centre (where's Tron: Legacy by the way?!) but it's Hans Zimmer's looming score that really stuck with me. Hans Zimmer has loads of Oscars though so I doubt he'll be bothered losing one.

Music (Original Song)
Country Strong - Coming Home
Tangled - I See The Light
127 hours - If I Rise
Toy Story 3 - We Belong Together

Prediction: 127 Hours
Wild Bore Choice: .... Tangled?


I haven't heard these and quite frankly I don't care. But I think Dido's If I Rise might be the one.

Short Film Animated
Day & Night
The Gruffalo
Let's Pollute
The Lost Thing
Madagascar, A Journey Diary

Prediction: The Gruffalo
Wild Bore Choice: The Lost Thing


No idea. Gruffalo's pretty well known though.

Short Film (Live Action)
The Confession
The Crush
God Of Love
Na Wewe
Wish 143

Prediction: Na Wewe
Wild Bore Choice: The Confession


Na Wewe looks like it's about child soldiers and The Confession looks dark. That's it.

Sound Editing
Inception
Toy Story 3
Tron: Legacy
True Grit
Unstoppable

Prediction: Inception
Wild Bore Choice: Inception


The sound was amazing and worked perfectly

Sound Mixing
Inception
Salt
The King's Speech
The Social Network
True Grit

Prediction: True Grit
Wild Bore Choice: True Grit


Blending all the many sounds and dialogue in quite close quarters in an epic landscape takes some doing.

Visual Effects
Alice In Wonderland
Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows Part 1
Hereafter
Inception
Iron Man 2

Prediction: Alice In Wonderland
Wild Bore Choice: Inception


The use of 3D is strangely non-existent here and I think it might be so as to give Alice In Wonderland a shot at something that looked quite pretty, but Inception's visuals still take some beating.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
127 hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Prediction: The Social Network
Wild Bore Choice: The Social Network


C'mon, it's Aaron Sorkin, no way Boyle or the Coens could even touch him.

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Another Year
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech

Prediction: The Fighter
Wild Bore Choice: Inception


I doubt Mike Leigh will get an Oscar for this but I can't help but love Inception and the screenplay is perfect.


So that's it! Really isn't that amazing but never mind. I'm hoping Inception and Black Swan will clean up but we'll see. What do you guys think? Am I right? Am I wrong?




No comments:

Post a Comment