Thursday 25 February 2010

From Paris With Love


An action film that didn't even meet the low expectations I had for it in the first place. At least you see the beauty of Paris right? No? Okay then.

Coming from the same director as Taken, I thought there might be a chance that this could be okay. However, after reading the recent reviews, it was clear that this was going to be a disaster - and it was.

As controversial as this sounds, I really enjoyed Taken. I'm slightly biased in that I love Liam Neeson and enjoyed the fast-paced, man-on-a-mission, revenge flick that it was. I also like John Travolta and even though his look in this is more YMCA Macho Man than Action Man, he actually does quite well. Though how he dodges bullets jumping around with that much weight was completely beyond me. Magic perhaps?

His co-star Jonathan Rhys Meyers is a pet hatred of mine. I can't stand the man. Luckily, he just does his bit and there's not much to him, he could potentially be anyone. Neither character has any depth and the hidden homosexuality (don't trust women, comparing guns in the final scene etc.) makes Travolta perfect for the job. But the acting is just second rate and the two have little or no chemistry together either. Massive fail as the kids say. But what about the story?

Well, firstly the backdrop of Paris might as well be anywhere, you got the Eiffel Tower but that's about it. It's pro-American stance almost slips over into mild racism, something which happens in Taken as well, but it toes the line enough for it to be argued. The story is simply taking down terrorists - a few twists along the way but nothing that will make you sit up. Unfortunately it's one of those films that just by watching the trailer means you might as well have just watched the film.

The script is dire, the action was good in places but not enough to justify what is an extremely flawed film. Watch it for a no-brainer action set piece that you can melt your mind to - otherwise leave it rot away until it appears on late night Channel 5.

Rating: 3/10

1 comment:

  1. Guess I won't be watching this one then. I too liked Taken, but have never really liked Travolta.

    And even though I haven't seen this film (and probably never will), in my head it looks pretty much exactly like the Paris scene in Team America.

    Still doesn't make me want to watch it though.

    ReplyDelete